Monday 21 May 2007

Garden City Mummy ~ Post 1

Motherhood is full of painChinese foot binding shoes
Edward Scissorhands

This is an observation I had today on my way to collect my son from childcare.

How did I arrive at this observation you may ask. Childbirth? Yes, that hurt. Cracked nipples? certainly in the early days...but no, this observation was born (pardon the pun) of a rather more mundane episode, with no blood, gore, or stitches.

Well, as sometimes happens, a combination of events (usually involving the piccadilly line) led to my being in a big rush to get to my boy on time, and it just so happened that I was wearing new shoes. New summer shoes. Which can only mean one thing. Pain. Of course if I were to walk at a normal speed, then the pain would be minimal. It would be nothing more than the familiar pain of breaking in new shoes. However, when one is a mum, one does not want to be late for one's little darling, and so, of course, I had to run. Running in new, tight, kitten heels, with swollen end of the day feet hurts. A lot. Ergo, motherhood is painful.

When I sunk like an ageing trawler into the bath this evening, I have to say that the stinging pain caused by the numerous blisters and scrapes adorning both feet, was only a few notches below the stinging I felt upon bathing immediately after childbirth where I came face to face with edward scissor hands the midwife. They (my feet) still hurt now. Oh well, I think it'll be back to the knackered old trainers tomorrow.

2 comments:

Steve said...

I'm currently breaking in a pair of CAT safety boots. They're big, tough and the monster-truck equivalent of footwear... and my heels feel like they have razor blades surgically implanted into them. I've managed to bleed through a sticking plaster and a double layer of thick socks. I sympathise.

I never thought to compare my pain to the after effects of child birth though... I wonder if I can get myself a day off work with this?

Anonymous said...

Oh it's a great excuse - I still use it now - nearly a year on!